Monday, April 20, 2009

Why this?

I have been struggling with my health for over five years. I know when it all started. ...Or do I? It's hard to know when you aren't exactly sure what's wrong. I can tell you the symptoms. I can tell you about the times I have gone to doctors and had tests done. The times they told me I had anxiety, or acted like I was just seeking attention. I was 21 when this all started. 21 year olds don't go to the doctor for fun, and they don't go to the doctor for attention. As time went by and I felt worse and worse, I told people how I felt. Family, friends, people at church, coworkers. I learned that when you don't have a diagnosis, people don't believe you. If a doctor can't figure out what is wrong with you, you must be making it up. Or exaggerating small symptoms or pains. I have since stopped talking to anyone but doctors about illness. People have come into my life in the meantime that have no idea I am ill, because I never mention it.

I am using this blog as an outlet. I won't be able to write everything that I go through, but I do want to share with someone what I feel. I feel for all of the people who struggle with a diagnosis and illness. I know many are labeled as people suffering from depression or anxiety by their doctors. These labels are often untrue. I hope doctors everywhere can be more sensitive to realizing that they don't have all the answers, and sometimes their patients need to be referred to someone with more experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment